Thursday, July 14, 2011

The Power of Relaxation - 2

My vacation is in day three and I have become quite accomplished at being schedule free and having accountability to only myself.  However, I noticed something this morning as I sat facing a huge waterfall eating a late breakfast.  Taking a bite of incredibly fluffy pancakes I felt a slight twinge of something.  Was it sadness?  Was it lonliness?  I allowed the feeling to evolve...to present itself...and soon realized that what I was feeling was the completeness that daily tasks bring to my life.  I love the relaxed schedule I am currently keeping and I have realized how desperately I need to make time for doing nothing.  But I have also realized that when I have time to relax and rejuvenate, I begin to miss those mundane daily tasks that often drive me crazy. 

As I ate my pancakes, I felt a yearning to be in my kitchen mixing the ingredients myself.  I longed to measure the flour...scraping the measuring cup smooth with a knife.  I longed to crack open the egg...challenging myself to do it with one hand...without any shell in the bowl.  I had a desire to pour myself a small glass of milk after measuring out the needed amount for the recipe.  I wanted to see the texture of the batter form in my bowl as I whisked the ingredients together to a smooth, bubbly consistency.  I wanted to search the kitchen for other interesting ingredients to add to the batter...ground flaxseed....walnuts...bananas.  I missed being involved in the process of creating the final product....not just see it on my plate.  

I think this is evidence of another benefit of relaxation.  When we have the opportunity to become quiet, relax fully, and rejuvenate, we find that lost appreciation for our daily lives and the sacredness of the hours that create our days.  It also makes me realize that I do not want to idly sit by and accept my life as it comes to me.  I truly want to be the creator of my life....to mix my life's recipe as I choose...to suit my individual tastes and preferences. 

So...tomorrow  I fly back to my everday life...and I do so with a promise to myself to balance my relaxation and down time with a respect for the tasks of my days.  I have also renewed my vow to honor those daily tasks and truly be present in my life...minute by minute.

No comments:

Post a Comment