Friday, July 8, 2011

Flexibility

Flexibility.  That word holds a variety of meanings and can describe many different things.  Flexible schedules...flexible bodies...flexible attitudes...even flexible garden hoses.  But in the middle of yoga class last night I realized that I can become more flexible when someone else applies a little pressure...if I will simply breath and release my resistance.

The instructor guides the class into Staff Pose then instructs us to inhale....then exhale and lean forward from the hips keeping the back long.  I move my torso forward into Seated Forward Bend...reaching my hands toward my toes.  The tightness in my hamstrings and lower back limit my forward movement but I continue to breath and try to relax into the stretch.  That was when I felt the instructors hands lightly on my back.  She cued my breathing and on my exhalation she applied a firm pressure to my mid back region.  My torso released forward...my fingers crept closer to my toes...and the muscles in the back of my legs relaxed slightly.  She released for a breath cycle then repeated the sycronized breath and manual pressure again.  My body released even further forward into the stretch each time she pressed her body weight against me...as long as I did not resist the pressure.

That was when I realized the application of this lesson off the yoga mat.  Outside pressure can increase my flexibility...not physically like in yoga class...but emotionally and psychologically.  I can become more flexible in my attitudes and in my views when I am challenged by the pressure from others.  I do not have to agree with their views or attitudes.  However, when I give up my resistance and judgement and open myself up to their viewpoint, I have the opportunity to stretch my own perspective and hone my own opinions.  I must remain calm...breath...and let go into the moment of experience.  I must be willing to endure the external pressure while releasing and relaxing within.  If I do...my flexibility will increase and I will be able to adapt to the challenges that life brings. 

No comments:

Post a Comment