Friday, June 24, 2011

Getting Back Up

I fell out of a pose in yoga class yesterday.  Nothing but my pride was injured and surprisingly my pride didn't suffer much or for long.  It was a very basic shoulder stretch before the instructor gave an unfamiliar option to increase the difficulty.  Without hesitating, I lifted my right leg into the air and moved into the more difficult positon...for a very brief moment.  Then, I lost my balance and rolled onto my side.  Immediately I thought of a little child learning to crawl...how they wobble and fall over again and again. 

I laughed out loud as I toppled over. But I was immediately encouraged by the instructor who said that everyone falls out of the pose the first time they try it.  So...back into the pose I went.  And this time my body adjusted...muscles were contracted more fully...my body weight was more evenly distributed....and my breath was more even.  And...I lifted my right leg and held the pose.  It wasn't long until we move into a different pose but I successfully held it. 

My most recent yoga lesson is a reminder to myself to continue to get back up.  To learn from the initial experience and make adjustments for success.  For there is truly no shame in the falling...everyone does it.  The only shame lies in refusing to get back up and try again.  For if we don't try we will never succeed.   

No comments:

Post a Comment