Friday, September 11, 2015

Creative Travel Plans

Last summer I started posting pictures on Facebook from my daily walks. They were taken with my IPhone and were just things I happened upon by chance...no fancy cameras, no filters, no editing. My Facebook friends started giving me some very positive feedback. I was more than surprised, I was slightly overwhelmed. In August of 2014, I purchased a new Canon T5i camera with my UK trip in mind. It has a lot of flexibility, but it is lightweight and not too bulky.

As I started the serious planning of my UK trip, I knew I needed to be prepared to take any photo I wanted. To accomplish that, I signed up for classes at Bedford Photography in Oklahoma City, where I had purchased my camera. My instructor, Christian Bruggeman, encouraged me and has been a wonderful mentor in my photography journey. He has worked with me on both the composition of the my photos and the editing. He has definitely built my confidence.  I still have a lot to learn, but the learning curve has flattened out a little.


Last year I started following several organizations and businesses on Facebook with a focus on those in the UK. I don't remember which Facebook page featured the photo shown to the left, but it immediately caught my eye. I love trees and misty landscapes. They evoke strong emotions in me. There was a link to the photographer's Facebook page...Mark Littlejohn. I was mesmerized by his photos! Stunning landscapes, misty mornings, gorgeous black and white scenes...I felt an immediate creative connection. I browsed his website and read that he offered photography workshops in the Lake District of England.


So....on October 12, 2015, I will spend the day under the instruction of Mr. Mark Littlejohn, UK Landscape Photographer of the Year for 2015. He has promised me a visit to the stand of trees featured in the photo above, plus other stops around the stunning Lake District of England.  Oh...and a great lunch at a local eatery.  I am beyond excited! Mr. Littlejohn's attitude about photography and his willingness to share the "hows" and "whys" of his photos are not common traits among some photographers.


I will take advantage of this opportunity to improve my photography skills and meet some new people. I will be open to whatever beautiful scenery the day provides, and I will be appreciative for the experience of working with an artist who shares my tastes in photography. I know I will be nervous, but when I think about it, I can't help but smile! 

Please enjoy the photography of Mr. Mark Littlejohn! http://www.markljphotography.co.uk/


P.S. I am in the process of booking another photography workshop in the Scottish Highlands!  I will let you know those details when it is finalized! 

No comments:

Post a Comment