Sunday, August 5, 2018

My StrongFirst Weekend



SFG I, Philadelphia 2018
Most accomplishments require focus, sacrifice and discipline. But, even with those things in place, accomplishments are not guaranteed. I recently attended an SFG I weekend in pursuit of my StrongFirst kettlebell instructor certification. To pass the SFG I, I would be required to prove competency in the following skills with a 12 kg (26.4#) kettlebell: double cleans (5), press (5:5), snatch (5:5), one-arm swing (10:10), double front squat (5), and getup (1:1). In addition to the six skills, I would need to complete a 5-minute snatch test by completed 100 reps during the allotted five minutes.
 
I visualized myself walking in and doing what I know to do…..in my mind's eye, I saw myself owning every single skill and conquering the snatch test with ease. But that wasn’t going to be possible. The nine months leading up to the certification were riddled with obstacles: a separated shoulder, a floating fibula, esophagus inflammation, high personal stress, and PTSD triggers at work which spilled over into every other aspect of my life. Then, with  just two weeks to go, I pulled my TFL and quad due to a pelvic stability issue. As if that wasn't enough, six days before I was to fly to Philadelphia, a severe case of poison ivy on my feet that kept me from training. Even though I had trained consistently, I hadn’t been able to follow the training program as I had planned and doubt began to creep in.  

"It's okay to be discouraged. It's not okay to quit. To know you want to quit but to plant your feet and keep inching closer until you take the impenetrable fortress you've decided to lay siege to in your own life - that's persistence." ~ Ryan Holiday, The Obstacle is the Way
I knew that I would not be able to test the left getup or the squats. The TFL/quad injury was not healed completely. But, I had assessed the remaining four skills and knew I could test them. Plus, I had successfully completed a snatch test just two weeks prior. So……my plan going into the weekend, was to perform the technique tests for the snatch, one-arm swing, press, and clean. I also planned to complete the 5-minute snatch test.
If I couldn’t test all six skills, I wouldn’t receive my certification at the end of the weekend. If I passed four skills, I would be allowed to send in videos of the remaining skills within three months. If I didn't pass all six skills, did that mean I wasn't successful? Did that diminish the significance of the weekend? I knew I needed to redefine the meaning of “success” in regards to the SFG. What would success look like for me since I couldn’t test or pass all my skills? My measure of success became focused around my attitude and how much I could learn. It included my ability to stay in the present moment and focus on the things within my control.
I am so blessed to know these strong women!
Debbie, my team leader, and team
assistants, Alanna, and Nadine.
I started out strong on day one. We practiced deadlifts and swings. My body felt a little tight from the previous days flights, but nothing that would raise concern. Then on a simple drill, I felt a pop in my right hip and hamstring. And just like that, I couldn't perform a basic hinge, which is the foundation of every skill. I felt deflated for a bit, but realized that this was my opportunity to practice everything I believed. "Breathe....stay in the moment....adjust and adapt to whatever happens." The success of the weekend depended on my attitude in that moment.
 
"Failure really can be an asset if what you're trying to do is improve, learn, or do something new." ~ Ryan Holiday, The Obstacle is the Way


Team Hayes!

Since I couldn't physically participate, I became a focused observer. I learned new coaching skills and cues by watching the other participants and assistants. This truly was an advantage in many ways. I focused on learning as much as I could, even though I wasn’t actually training. I had to push the disappointment out of my mind: the hours of training….the money spent on the certification, airline tickets, hotel reservations...plus other training and travel expenses. I had to focus on the things I could control….. good nutrition, quality self-care, a positive attitude, and a clear perspective. That night I walked, reached out to my support team in Oklahoma, took some Advil, drank tons of water, fueled my body with good food and got nine hours of solid sleep.


Saturday morning, I could hip hinge without pain and I decided to train with my group using a slightly lighter kettlebell. As long as I controlled the power and depth of my backswing, and focused on glute activation…..I could swing a kettlebell without pain! I had a glimmer of hope for training the rest of the day. I trained the press and the snatch successfully. I was becoming more hopeful for testing four skills and completing the snatch test as I originally planned. The team assistants gave positive feedback on my four testable skills and I ended the day feeling optimistic.
I spent some time Saturday evening visualizing each skill. I gave extra focus to the biomechanical breathing match of each one.  I woke up Sunday morning feeling calm and prepared. I was ready. We had a team practice and then the skills testing began. I performed the four skills I could physically test and felt good about my performance. I knew my cleans could have been a bit more smooth, but the other three felt solid.
It was time for the snatch test. I had successfully completed the test three times in my training and had developed a strategy that changed my approach to the test. In my mind, it wasn’t 100 reps, it was 5 sets....just 5 sets. Ten reps on the right and ten reps on the left was one set. I would finish three sets…..rest…..then finish the two final sets. That was how I had practiced the test and that would be my strategy for the SFG snatch test as well. I asked to go first in my group because I was ready to finally get this done.

We lined up behind our bells. They announced, “hands on bell…..3….2….1” and I hiked my bell along with dozens of my kettlebell peers. Ten right….ten left….20 reps completed. Brandon, the StrongFirst assistant monitoring my test, announced my count after each ten reps. I remember him leaning in with each announcement. Ten right….ten left….40 reps completed. Ten right….ten left……60 reps completed. I set the bell down. I took a drink of water and wiped my face. As I approached the kettlebell, I heard Brandon say, “Let’s finish this, Beth”. I believe I responded with, “I am going to”. I began again…..barely aware of anything going on around me. Ten right….ten left….80 reps completed. Seven right…..I hear the announcement of 1 minute remaining….three more right…..ten left…..Brandon announced that I was done!! He gave me a high five. I gathered up my towel and water bottle and walked through the other SFG candidates to the back of the gym. I had done it! I didn’t think about my time…..I just knew I had done the job I set out to do. While I don’t know my exact time, I know that I had 13 reps remaining at the top of the last minute. That makes me think I had 20-25 seconds left when I hit the 100 rep mark. Definitely my best time on a 5 minute snatch test! To be honest, I didn't give my finish time a second thought until I met with my Team Leader and Team Assistants. Several of them made comments about how strongly I finished the test. I will always take the word "Beast" as a compliment! It wasn't until that moment that I got excited about my time.  

The card my daughter gave me
prior to catching my flight to
Philadelphia.
Just as it takes a village to raise a child, it took a team to get me to and through the SFG weekend. My daughters and their families surrounded me with their unwavering support. They tolerated me dragging kettlebells on vacation and “getting my training in” while they were visiting for the weekend. They sent me cards and texts of support during the SFG weekend.
My first strength coach and friend, Joey Johnsonbaugh, who taught me how to “get my mind right”. He made me mentally tough during workouts and taught me how to just focus on the current rep. I definitely pulled from my training with Joey during the snatch test.
My friend and strength coach, Dustin. My
preparation was a direct result of his knowledge.


My kettlebell coach and friend, SFG Team Leader, Dustin Rippetoe, who gave me a solid foundation of Russian hardstyle kettlebell techniques and taught me to “stick to my game plan” regardless of what is going on around me.

My friend, Mark Gorman, who routinely shares how he sees me…..as strong, capable, and resilient.  And he reminds me often that there is more than one kind of strength. 

More Team Hayes' top notch assistants!
Brandon, Mike, James, and Ross
My SFG Team Leader, Debbie Hayes, and the fantastic team assistants, who supported me through the weekend, helping keep my attitude positive and my injury in check. They showed sincere concern for me and never made me feel like I needed to do something that would cause further harm. They focused on my strengths and capabilities, rather than the skills that my injury prevented.

My fellow SFG candidates also showed support and understanding. Special thanks to Anne Kirk who assisted me through some exercises to help with my injury. I am not sure I could have tested out on Sunday without her help.

The weekend ended with a group celebration of swings, presses, cleans, and squats…..all in unison. The energy in that facility was like nothing I have felt before. It is something I will always cherish as one of my most powerful experiences.

Did I walk out on Sunday with my instructor certificate? No, I did not. Was the weekend a success? Absolutely! I affirmed so much within myself. Can I pass the remaining two skills? Yes! I am currently working to heal my injury and will then shift my focus onto the two remaining skills: the double squat and the getups. I will send in the videos, receive my certification, and proudly begin my journey as a StrongFirst Kettlebell Instructor.
The SFG weekend was about so much more than cleans, swings, and presses. It was about joining a powerful brotherhood and sisterhood of strength. It was about digging deep within to find my own inner strength. It was about perspective and priorities. It was about remaining true to myself. It was life-changing. It was a great test of who I am, and I am pleased.

"Each time, you'll learn something. Each time, you'll develop strength, wisdom, and perspective. Each time, a little more of the competition falls away. Until all that is left is you: the best version of you." ~ Ryan Holiday, The Obstacle is the Way


Phil Scarito, StrongFirst Master Trainer

 

3 comments: